Monday, January 20, 2014

Day 294- I Have A Dream

Today we celebrate the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Now I know being white, I have had few experiences when it comes to being discriminated against for my race. I would be lying though if I said I had never experienced discrimination in my life. Both being a woman and what is considered "handicapped" because of physical aspects I was born with, I have been treated differently. I can't remember specific times when I was given special treatment because I was a woman, but I have because of my physical difference.

With my physical limitations, I feel like I have never let it hold me back or made me ask for special treatment. To me, there is nothing wrong with me. I'm just like everyone else. I think that because I have always had this attitude, I was never mistreated or picked on growing up. I was always treated equal to everyone else. Kids being mean was never a problem. It was actually adults when I was older that treated me with special care.

The first time was in high school when I was taking a driver's education class. The driving instructor told me that instead of the normal 3 days behind the wheel instruction like everyone else got, I would need a full week because I was "handicapped." I showed her because on the first day, within 20 minutes, I was allowed to leave the parking lot area because my turns were so good. The other student with me who had no physical limitations or mental limitations (they just simply requested more time) spent an entire day and a half before they could leave the parking lot.

The second time was in my second year of college. I was more than half way through the semester when my class had our first test. My teacher pulled me aside and ask if I needed more time to take the test. I told him no and asked why. He said because of my handicap. I just looked at him and said no. I was so mad but took my test anyways. I specifically remember not only did I do very well on that test, I was one of the first few to finish.

The third time was in one of my last semesters of college. I was taking a diversity class where we talked about discrimination and where it takes place in society. The majority of our class time was spent in small groups where we discussed the material and shared our stories. One day the professor came over to our group to observe. Out of nowhere he interrupted and asked me to share all the times I had suffered discrimination growing up. I told him I didn't really suffer, and he basically called me a liar. He said because I was "handicapped" I definitely did experience it. He insinuated that I was made fun of growing up, didn't get treated the same, and was probably stared at a lot. I told him that none of that happened because I don't see myself as "handicapped" so others don't either. I don't let it define me nor did I pay attention to it if did happen. I remember being so mad by the end of the class I went straight to my car and cried. It was ironic that the teacher teaching diversity and acceptance was doing the exact opposite in his classroom.

Now I know that Dr. King gave his speech during the height of racial tension in our country. But his speech was not given to merely include race. He meant for it to include all discrimination, no matter what kind. Even though we have come a very far way, discrimination is still very prominent in our society (i.e.: gay rights, mental health stigmas, handicap stigmas, gender equality, and still race equality). It is unfortunate Dr. King's speech can still ring true today, but it is fortunate that listening to his speech can still bring hope for the future.




Day 294- A Challenge A Day

My Room

No comments:

Post a Comment