Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Day 282- Practice What You Preach

It is so easy for me to sit here and give all the advice in the world, but it is another thing to be able to take my own advice. The last few days my anxiety has definitely been higher than normal. Not high like it was last year, but definitely higher than what has been the norm for me the last few months. Instead of taking my own advice and doing things that I know have worked for me in the past, I have fallen back into old patterns.

I think because I have been doing so well lately I got discouraged easily when anxiety feelings resurfaced. Now I knew going into the winter season, specifically December and January, would be tough. Last year this time was rough for me so those memories are still fresh. I also know the winter season is tough because I like to be outside, go to the beach, and seeming to always have something to do. I am mindful on what the causes could be and most likely are. So why when I already know this am I being hard on myself?

For me, the thing I hate the most about my anxiety is the way it makes me feel physically. I hate feeling nausea and having that edgy feeling that only those who have experienced it know what I'm talking about. With me feeling that the last week, only mildly, I am already going into my catastrophic thinking that is my downfall when it comes to my anxiety. I have already thought, "Here we go again," " I guess I will never get over this," " This is will be my whole life kind of thing," "Does this mean they will have to increase my medicine," and " What if more medicine will bring on side effects?"

All these thoughts and worries will send me down the pathways I don't want to take. So the best advice I can give myself is to accept that right now I have some anxious worries and feelings, both mentally and physically. Ways that have worked for me in the past to change those pathways are writing out the things I KNOW and that are my truths; spending time with my family and closest friends; doing something creative; getting more involved with reading my Bible and church;  doing physical activity;  doing things on my love list and bucket list; and accepting and understanding my anxiety.

By getting back into these habits I can make sure my anxiety does not get back to the level it was once at. Instead of being the advice giver, I need to take be an advice giver. It is time from me to get back to practicing what I preach.


Day 282- A Challenge A Day

Favorite Movie: Pitch Perfect

Favorite TV Show: The Ellen Degeneres Show

Favorite Band: Taylor Swift (I know she is not a band, but she plays with one on stage)

Favorite Food: Pasta




   


No comments:

Post a Comment