Sunday, January 19, 2014

Day 293- A Second Chance

The last few weeks at church the series has been titled "The People of The Second Chance." The overall message is that when it comes to God, we are all worthy and automatically receive a second chance because of the sacrifice Jesus made for us. Today, the subject was that when we receive that second chance, we should rest in it. Just like when we go on vacations to foreign countries and are told to not drink the water because it can be hazardous, we should not drink in the idea that we are not worthy of a second chance. We all deserve one and we all get one.

Now I don't think I need to be given a second chance because of something I have done. Sure I'm human, which means I've made mistakes and "sinned." But I don't believe I've done anything that by societies standards would be considered unforgivable of a second chance. That is not what my second chance is all about. I have been given a second chance at a happy life.

I know we all have ups and downs in life and I don't think my downs are any more important than anyone else's. To me, it's all relative to where we are at in life. For me, however, my down the last few years was the worst it ever has been. My second chance was getting out of it. For some people, anxiety and depression is a life long struggle. It doesn't last a few years, but it lasts a lifetime.

By being a person who is determined, strong, and willing to try anything my second chance was not a gift. It was a choice I made. I made the choice to ask for it. I made the choice to work for it. I made the choice to go to therapy. I made to choice to take medication. I made the choice to try writing as my outlet. I made the choice to open up to myself and others. I made the choice to go to church. I made the choice to surrender and let God show me the answers instead of thinking I already had them. I made the choice to accept and relax in the second chance at a happy and healthy life I have been given. You can make a choice too. Ask for your second chance. Work for your second chance. Live and rest in your second chance because it's not only worth it, it's possible.


Day 293- A Challenge A Day

My confession is that as a new believer in God, there are days I still have my doubts. If I had to compare it to something, I would compare it to life. Right now, I'm in the infant stage of my religious life. Everything is so new and I'm just learning what it is all about. I will question things, learn new things, make mistakes, and eventually become firm in my belief whichever way it goes. It is hard to change 26 years of thinking in just 2 short years. I would be wrong though to deny the positive changes in my life that have occurred since I began going to church, opening up to God, reading the Bible, and learning about Jesus. For me, that is something that is always in the back of my mind on those days of doubts. The proof that once I let the idea of God, faith, and hope in everything changed. And it changed for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment