Saturday, January 4, 2014

Day 278- Grateful For...

In one of my earlier posts I mentioned how I would write a list at night of all the things I accomplished that day. I still do something similar at work, as I have a checklist of tasks for each day that I check off as I go throughout my day. It has been awhile though since I have actually done a list at night though. I was reading a book today that mentioned a good way to learn to be a more positive person is the write a list each day of 10 things I am grateful for. That way you become more aware of all the good things in your life each day. I noticed this was similar to the accomplishment list I use to do.

I wish I would have read about the being grateful list versus the accomplishments list when I was in some of the harder days of my depression. A lot of times when you are in a depression it is hard to notice any kind of good in your life or be grateful for anything. You become so consumed with all the bad going on that it becomes your main focus. Being negative simply becomes a way of life. It is almost second nature. It is nearly impossible to see any good.

I know as a tool to not allowing myself to get that way again and continue to work on becoming a more positive person I need to focus on the good. Even if it is something so little, it still counts. I probably won't write it out, but I want to start every night before I go to sleep to think of everything I'm grateful that happened that day.  That way my last thoughts before sleep are positive ones.

Today I am grateful for: A dog that slept it, the warm sunny weather of today, a clean room and house, that my mom offered to make me a breakfast sandwich this morning, quiet time this afternoon to read my new magazine, a phone call with a friend, a safe trip of bringing visitors home, pasta for lunch, a special note from a friend, a hug from my dad.


Day 278- A Challenge A Day

I'm finding out that my friends and I really don't take that many photos together. But here is one from this past Summer with 3 out of 4 of my best girlfriends and I.


No comments:

Post a Comment