Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Day 184- What Are You Afraid Of?

It's a new month which means I'll be ending each post in a new way.   For a lot of people, October signifies very important happenings like: breast cancer awareness, the beginning of fall, and for my hockey fans- the start of hockey season. But for the majority of people, myself included, when I think of the month of October I think of Halloween.

In respect to decorations and sales, Halloween is the second biggest holiday in the U.S. following Christmas. When I think of Halloween I think of magic, candy, dressing up, pumpkins, witches, and ghosts. Mostly though, I think of fear and being scared.

With anxiety, a big source of what fuels the anxiety is fear. When it comes to fear it is either rational or irrational. I've experienced both. When it is rational, I often will learn something or gain strength from the experience when I look back on it. When it is irrational I often laugh and realize how ridiculous it really was. So, at the end of each post this month I will tell a story of a time I was scared and had fear.


Day 184- Scary Story- I remember one Halloween when I was younger, I'm not sure the exact age but I was probably 10 or 11, that my friends I went to a haunted house in our neighborhood. We were going through the haunted house and it was not that bad in the beginning. Then, at the very end there was a guy hiding around the corner with a chainsaw (he didn't have the blade in obviously, but it still made that loud noise). I remember getting so scared I ran the rest of the way out. On the way out I hit my shoulder on the wall and got a huge scrape. Looking back now, I don't know why I got so scared. We had heard the chainsaw going before we went in, so we knew it was in there. It was probably more of a fear of the unknown. I wasn't sure when it would happen, so when it did that was why I got scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment