Thursday, June 27, 2013

Day 88- Reality TV Star?

How many out there watch reality television? I certainly do! I probably watch more reality television than non-reality. Being the age I am, my favorite is all the challenges between The Real World seasons on MTV. Growing up I always thought it would be cool to be on one of those shows just because they all get to travel to amazing places. Then when the reality show like Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County was huge on MTV my friends and I always use to say that we had enough drama in our group of friends that we could have our own show called Santa Clarita: The Real Valley.

How many people out there would actually want to be on a reality show? If you do/did, have you ever given thought to what you would look like on camera? Would you seem like a happy and easy going person, a sad and drama filled person, the shy girl, the man whore, the liar, or the shows star? When I was asked how I think others view me, I really had to think about it. I knew I didn't smile or laugh often. I had also been told that it seemed like I was in my head a lot...always thinking, but not vocalizing my thoughts. I realized overall I would be perceived like a very quiet, shy, and unhappy person if I was being followed by a camera all the time.

Once I realized this I became very aware of what I was expressing on the outside. I didn't want to be looked at how I knew I probably was, quiet, unhappy, and all in my head. I knew I had to change because I didn't want to become that. Now I wasn't concerned about what others thought of me. I was concerned that I wasn't expressing the person I WANTED TO BE.

In order to make this change anytime I felt like I was looking sad or thinking too much, I would put a smile on my face and make myself seem more inviting to others. I did this a lot at work since I spend a lot of time there and I see more people there than any other place. I also knew that when I was all "in my head" I would become quiet and come off as shy. So as soon as I noticed this I would go up to a customer and start up a conversation by using my open ended question asking skills I learned from my journalism classes in college. Over time, the more and more I did this I noticed that I slowly started to project the image I wanted. There are definitely still times that I catch myself not projecting who I want to be. When this happens I think to myself, "If I was on camera right now, what would I look like?" Then I change it to how I want to look: outgoing, friendly, and happy.

Now, I want to restate that it's important to remember that as long as you are happy with the image you project to the world, than it doesn't matter what others think or perceive you to be. We all know that perceptions can be wrong. But when you are not satisfied with the image you are projecting, then there is something you can do to change it. For me it took wondering what I would come off as if I was the star of my own reality show to learn how to change it.

Day 88- Photo a Day Challenge- Bathing Suit

I know there are a lot of girls who have hundreds of bathing suits. I'm not one of those girls, but I think I have enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment