Thursday, June 6, 2013

Day 67- Like Old Times

Tonight something amazing happened. I actually had fun and laughed with my younger brother. It has been a very long time since that happened. Growing up as kids we were like your average brother and sister. We got along and would play, but not super close. Through our teenage years again we got along but we weren't exceptionally close. Then from the time I was about 20 years-old until I was about  23 years-old we became really close. We would hangout with a lot of the same people, go to lunch together all the time, and talk about almost anything. I often would prefer to hangout with him over anyone else.

Slowly we started hanging out with different people and we seemed to drift apart a little. We still got along, but we just didn't spend as much time together. Then about 2 years ago he started hanging out with a few people I didn't really care for. I found that he seemed angry a lot and wasn't the same happy go lucky kid I remembered from a few years ago. Little did I know that he was experiencing a lot of the same things I have been the last few years, he just kept it inside.

Mt brother suffers from anxiety as well. Unlike me who gets emotional, panicked, and has to talk my way through it, my brother keeps a lot of stuff in and tries to just deals with it on his own. You would think with both of us dealing with the same thing it would bring us closer, but it hasn't. We still love each other very much and would be there in a second if either of us truly needed it, I just can't remember the last time we hung out and just had fun.

Tonight though, we did. Lately my mom and I have been watching them play a game on The Ellen Degeneres Show called Heads Up. Today I downloaded a version of it on my phone. After dinner I brought my phone to the table where my mom, my dad, my brother, and my brother's friend were still sitting. My brother kinda made fun of me at first about it, but then he started to play it with me. (For those who don't know what the game is you take your phone or iPad and place it on your forehead. Depending on the category different names, songs, movies, etc. come up and you try and guess what it is based on the clues others give). My parents left and it was just us "kids" playing. My brother and I did so well as a team. We were laughing, talking, and having fun. It was kinda amazing.

After words I thought why this could have happened. Is it because I'm feeling better? Is he feeling better? Who knows? But tonight was fun and I'll think about it often over the next few days.


Day 67- Photo a Day Challenge- Shoes

The newest shoes to my collection that I wore today.

No comments:

Post a Comment