Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Day 351- Stress Vs. Anxiety

For me, I have learned that I handle stress and anxiety completely different. I know a lot of times these two emotions are put together and made to mean the same thing, but they aren't. Just because I am stressed out does not mean that I'm experiencing anxiety as well. For me, there are specific things that give me stress and completely different things that give me anxiety. 

Stress is defined as : " a state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or very demanding circumstances." For me I get stress if a lot of calls come in at the same time at work, if I'm running late for an appointment, or if I don't have enough time to get something done. It is a completely different feeling both physically and mentally for me. It usually involves a lot of adrenaline  felling overwhelmed, and feeling like I can get agitated very easily.

Anxiety is defined as : "a feeling of worry, nervousness, or unease, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome." For me I get anxiety when I'm not feeling well and I don't know why, when a family member is sick all of a sudden, when I am overly tired, or when I think about how my life will turn out. When I'm feeling axioms I feel very on edge, like I can cry at any minute, I get heat waves, and I will have spells where I feel like my skin is crawling. It also because very hard for me to fully focus. 

One of the biggest things I have learned this year is the difference in what gives me stress versus what gives me anxiety. I have also learned what those feelings are like in my body. Since I am able to recognize it I am better able to figure out how I handle those emotions. This allow me to keep my stress to developing anxiety.

No comments:

Post a Comment