Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Day 338- Give Me Credit

One thing I do not do is give myself enough credit. I never have and this is something I need to work on, but it's hard for me. Maybe it is a strong sense of humility, or maybe because I have lived it I can't see what a big deal the things I've gone through are. Either way, I tend to think of the things I have gone through and "survived" as not a big deal. It was just something I had to do.

The other day I was talking to a co-worker and we were discussing surgeries. I told him in quit a bit of detail about the 13 surgeries I have had. Out of all of them, four have been major surgeries involving my heart and spine. Those are things that you need in order to live. When I was telling him about them, he told me he was amazed at how cool and calm I seemed with it all. I was kind of taken back by that because I didn't think why I would be any other way. To me, it's not that big of a deal. It was something I had to do and everything turned out fine.

I also won't forget the time I had opened up to my manager at the time about all my anxiety and depression. This was right around the time it was starting to get really, really bad. He was shocked. He told me that I seemed to be doing well and had no issues. He flat out told me I need to give myself more credit for how well I carry and handle myself.

I don't know why I can't give myself more credit for my achievements and successes. It just doesn't come natural to me. It's not that I can't recognize when I have done something well. I guess I just hold myself to a high standard. A standard that I don't recognize as being high. I know how to set realistic goals so why don't I give myself realistic praise? This can be the thing I work on this year.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment