Monday, March 3, 2014

Day 336- No Shame In My Game

When it comes to things that have happened to me, I have very little shame. I guess that goes hand in hand with me being open and honest. But when it comes to my struggles and my times of weakness, I'm not embarrassed about them. They have happened. I feel like if I were to be ashamed of having issues with anxiety and depression it would mean that I have done something wrong. I did nothing wrong. Unfortunately crappy things have happened to me in my life and it just became too much to handle.

Like a lot of things in our world, we have come along way in regards to mental health. Even though anxiety and depression are not conditions that have to last forever, they are still illnesses. In the past, mental health illnesses are something that was not talked about. There was a stigma with it. It was something to be ashamed about, and not something to let people know about.

Even with the advances we have made, there is still a stigma in our society. Mental health has become an epidemic because we are still not free enough to admit to it without being judged about it. That is why there is so many shootings, deaths, and substance abuse problems. If more people were able to open up there could be a change. By not being ashamed the views about mental illness will begin to change.

Shame is a powerful feeling. It can holds us back and keep us from being the best we can be. My ability to not be ashamed of my feelings, thoughts, and set backs has been what has helped me the most. By willing to show who I am without worrying how others will take it is one aspect about myself I am most proud of.


No comments:

Post a Comment