Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Day 149- Acceptance

On Thursday I have a check up with my doctor who is monitoring me while I am on my anti-depressant. It is important to make sure that if you do decide to take medication, that you have a doctor who will monitor you closely. It is also important you keep appointments because when anti-depressants are not being checked up on, they can ultimately be very dangerous.

I know while I am at the doctor's office, I will be asked how I am doing. I would be lying if I said that I was perfect. I still have moments, but overall I am doing great. I know that a good reason for this is the medication, but it is also because I have put in a lot of work. The biggest area I think I've made is in accepting my anxiety.

For a long time a large majority of my anxiety was I was worried I will have to deal with this the rest of my life. The truth is I will, but so does everyone else. Throughout life I'm going to go through times where I will have more anxiety or sadness, but it won't be constantly like i once thought. Once I accepted that, I was able to stop worrying so much about it.

I also learned to accept when I do feel more anxious. Instead of trying to fight it when I'm feeling it, I recognize it and accept it instead of trying to fight. When I would try to fight and do everything I could to stop it from growing, I was actually feeding it. All I was doing was focusing on it and without purposely doing so, I was making myself more anxious. I find when I realize what it happening and surrender to it, I'm able to relax more and it subsides faster.

So when the doctor asks me on Thursday how I'm doing I'll make sure I tell her about how I've learned to accept my anxiety and how it has made a HUGE difference.

Day 149....Song I Love- Missy Higgings- Where I Stood

I first heard this song years ago when it played on the television show One Tree Hill. Ever since I first heard it I have loved it. There is a good chance you have heard it because it has been used in numerous other shows and movies. I can't tell you how many times I have listened to it, but I love it each time.




No comments:

Post a Comment