Friday, August 16, 2013

Day 138- Favorite Childhood Memory

Today a co-worker of mine asked me what my favorite memory from childhood was. I couldn't think of one. I know I had a lot of fun times as a child, but those memories are not as strong as the not so fun memories. I have a lot of memories of going to doctor's appointments and surgeries. It literally took me all day to think of my favorite memory, but once I did a lot of happy memories started popping up. I finally have narrowed it down to two though. One involves my brothers and I, the other involves my entire family.

When my older brother would come home from college, within 10 minutes of being home he and my younger brother would start wrestling. They would do this for at least an hour none stop. Every now and then they would let me join in. It would be me and my younger brother versus my older brother. I would help out by jumping on my older brother's back as a way to distract him. The thing was, even if I wasn't wrestling, I loved to just watch them. The entire family would watch them. It seemed so simple and normal, brothers wrestling, but it brought everyone together.

My other favorite memory from childhood was every Christmas Eve and Christmas morning. On Christmas Eve my younger brother and I would always both sleep in my room. Right before bed time we would get our cookies and milk ready, and the my mom would read to us 'Twas The Night Before Christmas. My brother and I would agree that we would take turns staying up because we would wanted to hear Santa. Of course, we never could. The next morning my mom would turn on Christmas music, and then we would all gather around the tree to open gifts. My mom would pass out gifts to my brothers and I followed by my parents opening gifts. Again, it was so simple but it's one of my favorites. To this day, watching old home movies of Christmas mornings are my favorite to watch.

Even though it took me awhile, these are two of my favorite memories from childhood.


Day 138....Song I Love- The Maine- Ho Ho Hopefully

After all my years of working in retail and hearing Christmas music every day, all day, from the day after Thanksgiving till New Year's Eve, I can't stand traditional Christmas songs. I would much rather listen to original written ones. This one happens to be one of my favorites.





    

No comments:

Post a Comment