Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Day 59- Nants ingonyama bagithi baba

Like most people my age who live in my town, I've lived here almost my entire life. My parents moved to Santa Clarita when I was 3 years old and I have lived in the same house for the last 25 years. Like myself, it has seen some changes over the years and evolved. When I was younger I use to always think, "Man, I can't wait to get out of this town. I'm not living in Santa Clarita my entire life." I have found that this was what a majority of the kids living here think. Over the last few years though, I've realized it's not that bad. I still would like to live somewhere else for awhile, but I've realized it's not that bad in Santa Clarita. I'm super close with my family and my parents have already told me that they are never moving, so I know I will always be close, if not in, this city all my life. I'm ok with that. For me, Santa Clarita, CA is home.

One thing that really makes it home for me is the front yard. It wasn't until the last few years have I really come to appreciate it. When my Grandpa from my Dad's side would come to visit from Oregon he would always love to just sit out front in the chairs on the patio and just watch. I never really knew what he was looking for, but I would sit out there with him for hours. We would talk, joke around, and sometimes just sit there and watch together. When I think about my Grandpa (which I still do every day) I think about how much he loved it out there.

After he passed away I really didn't sit out there too much until we got Tyson. For whatever reason he loves it out there too. Just like my Grandpa, he loves to just to sit there and watch. Last year when I was unemployed for about 7 months after being laid off, I would sit out there with Tyson for hours and look for and apply for jobs. It was during this time that I had a few months of peace from the intense anxiety I had been feeling with for 6 months before. Today for the first time in almost a year I sat out there with Tyson again. I don't know who enjoyed it more.

Part of the reason I decided to go out there is because our huge tree we have out there is going to be torn down in the next few days. It will definitely be sad because it's been there since we moved in. No longer will we be able to sit under its shade. We may also loose all the birds who have constantly made nests in it year after year. Unfortunately, the tree is in danger or breaking a water pipe that supplies the entire street, so it has to go. My parents will be planting a couple new tress in replace of the one being taken down. I know it may seem silly that I'm sad to see a tree go, but for me that tree is apart of my home.

Today, however, when I was sitting out there I thought it can't be coincidence that the tree is being taken down now. My birthday is in 6 days and I will be 28 years-old. It will be a new year in my life and a new beginning in a way. I'm in a much better place than I was in my last birthday and I'm actually excited to celebrate (like most girls I will be having a birthWEEK and not a birthday). So just when I am changing and evolving again, so is my house- this time it's that part of the house that holds a lot of great memories. Once the new trees are in I'm excited to make new memories in my home since I feel like a new me is starting to form.

P.S. Can anyone guess where the title of this post is from? It relates and has meaning to this post!!

Day 59- Thing I Love to Do......Sit in the front yard with Tyson

No comments:

Post a Comment