Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Day 38- Creative Mind

One thing I have learned in this process so far is that a huge outlet for me is being creative. Even in the beginning, in my own private notebook, I would write/journal. I use to only write when I felt the need to get something out or get my mind off of something for awhile. In the last few years I also would sometimes write a fiction story, again to get my mind off things. I only got a few pages into it, but I would love to see about trying to complete that story and write more often. Now with this blog, I am getting to write every day and it has re-sparked my love for it. I studied journalism in college mostly because I didn't mind writing; it came easy to me. Now, though, I'm really realizing I have a love for it. It also doesn't hurt that I have had validation in more than one person who have told me that after reading this blog that writing is a strength of mine and my niche. :) The next step I want to look into is looking for writing jobs, whether it's freelance or an actual position (or just a hobby). I'm realizing more and more it is necessary for me to keep some sanity.

Another aspect that has helped me to learn that in need a creative outlet has been the group therapy. Each week not only do we talk about things, we must complete an art project. This goes with the idea of using both sides of the brain to work through a situation. The left side of the brain is mostly known for using language, logic, and analytical thinking, while the right side of the brain is mostly known for using expressive and creative tasks. It is in using these 2 sides together that you can end up learning the most. For me, and I can't really explain why, but when doing these projects it calms me down so much. I can focus all my energy into one area and work things out. There hasn't been one project yet that how I thought I would do the task it ended up that way.

As a way to continue with this new found coping tool, I went to the craft store after work today. Now I can't tell you just yet what I decided to do because it is a Mother's Day gift and I know my mom reads my blog every day (Hi Mom!), but I will post a picture of it after Sunday. It's my hope that after I finish the group therapy I will continue with this new outlet and be able to do an art project once a month.

Now, I haven't asked anyone lately to go out and try something themselves, but I will now. Go grab a piece of blank paper. Now go grab a pen, pencil, marker, paint, etc. Take a few moments, maybe put on some music, and just let something flow. You may just be surprised what comes out.

Day 38- Thing I Love to Do....... Texting friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment