Monday, May 6, 2013

Day 36- 0.2475% Progress

Did you know if we want to change in a timeline of a year that we only need to change less than 1% every day before we change 100%? One way I have noticed change this past year is with my dog, Tyson (yes, I'm writing about Tyson again but it's important).

Ever since Tyson was a puppy he has had a mole on the back of his leg. We have brought it to the vets attention and he has not seemed too concerned about it. It hasn't grown too much, it doesn't hurt him, and he doesn't play with it. We could have it removed, but Tyson is also allergic to stitches. When we got him neutered was when we found out this allergy after a terrible time he had after the surgery.

Tonight we had an issue with Tyson and this mole. Some how he hit it and cut it. It was bleeding a lot. We had to clean it up with a wet washcloth and Bactine, and then we placed a plastic cone on his head that we kept from his neuter surgery. Needless to say, it was on ordeal.

In the past, this type of situation would send my anxiety through the roof. I would be so worried about it not being able to stop bleeding and him getting an infection. There were a few times when he was a puppy that he would get sick because he can have a sensitive stomach. I would almost have a panic attack every time. I would feel helpless because he couldn't tell me what he needed and there wasn't much I could do than just watch him.

Tonight I was fully aware that there was a change. I definitely was still stressed while trying to clean his cut because I could tell he was panicked, but I didn't go into a panic like I would have in the past. I think part of it was because I was able to draw on past experiences when he was sick and remember that he was ok. I also think that I was able to self talk myself. I kept staying to myself, "Don't panic, you'll cause Tyson to panic more. He will be ok." I just kept saying that over and over, and it worked. I even kept saying this after we cleaned him up and I kept myself from panicking after.

So today I continued my quest to changing 100% in how I react to my dog being sick/hurt. I think I may have gone up 10% and not just 1%. :)

Day 36- Thing I Love to Do........Watch Ellen.

No comments:

Post a Comment