Thursday, May 16, 2013

Day 46- Fear is a Choice

Today when I was watching TV I saw a commercial for the new Will Smith movie called After Earth. I really don't have any desire to see it because it's not my type of movie, but something I heard from it really stood out to me. After looking it up on Google I found out that the quote is actually pretty popular. I think that it not only can be something that people suffering from anxiety can draw from, but I think it also can relate to a lot of what we are currently going through as a society and the world.

"You must realize that fear is not real. It is a product of the thoughts you create. Now do not misunderstand me. Danger is very real, but fear is a choice."

When I heard him say this, it was like a light went off in my head. All the things that I worry about, that I fear, are my own doing. And a lot of the things I fear, like getting sick or always having to deal with anxiety, are not necessarily dangerous in themselves. Because I have created a fear of these things, I have made them seem dangerous. As soon as I let go of the fear, the danger that I have created associated with them will leave as well.

Now I know that putting this realization into practice is easier said than done. Over the last few years I have sort of rewired my brain to seek out danger and create a fear, but hearing this quote and realizing it is the first step in rewiring it back. It is the 1% for the day I have done to work towards my 100% change.

I think tomorrow I am going to print out this quote and place it in a visible place in my room to remind myself every day that fear is a choice, and I can choose to not be afraid.

Day 46- Thing I Love to Do......... Watch House Hunters.

The Trailer for After Earth with the quote in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment