Friday, April 5, 2013

Day 5- How Pets Can Heal

Who out there has pets? I never grew up with any pets other than fish. My mom never grew up with animals either so she never really liked them. She also didn't want to have to clean up after any animals (remember I get my cleaning habits from her). One year though, my mom's best friend convinced her that my brother and I needed a pet. We needed to have some responsibility and learn to care for something else that was living. That year for Christmas we got a huge fish tank! We had that fish tank for about 7 years before we eventually lost our last fish. Ever since then my brother had asked for a dog every year for both his birthday and Christmas. Finally, 3 years ago my mom caved in and we got a dog......Tyson.

Tyson is a 3 year-old boxer, chow mix. We know for certain he is part boxer, and we believe he is mixed with a chow because of some physical features and personality traits. He is a big dog, coming in just under 70 pounds and is almost all muscle. We got him from one of my brother's friends when he was 8 weeks old. The friend found him and unfortunately the mother died after giving birth and as a result all the other puppies died. Tyson was the only one who lived. It definitely hasn't been easy. Having a puppy is like having a new born baby, they just grow up quicker.

 I love him like my own child. A lot of my anxiety in the beginning was worrying about him. Any time he got sick or did something he wasn't suppose to like eat a DVD case (yes, he did that) I would worry. Over time I've sorta learned not to worry as much. He's a dog after all. We have an amazing vet and we take care of him the way we should (some times a little too well because he is so spoiled).

Which brings me to another thing I have learned. Animals can often offer many health benefits. They can help lower blood pressure, relieve stress and calm you, create an increase in serotonin and dopamine in the brain, provide companionship, increase life length, decrease anxiety and depression, and can add structure to your life. Animals can also increase  a person's exercise level, help them to meet new people, and help to keep them connected to people. There is a great article here that talks about all the health benefits animals can provide.

I know for me any time I'm feeling down I can go and hug Tyson and it helps. Knowing he loves me no matter what I'm going through is such a comfort. I know he can't talk back, but sometimes just having him there to listen, simply helps; knowing I can get things off my chest with no judgement and just love being given back is wonderful. He is also great when I do panic a little. One thing that really helps to clear my mind is cuddling up to him when he is sleeping and trying to match my breathing with his. It gives me something to focus on and calm down with.

I can honestly say I don't know where I would be without my dog. I don't even want to think about how much worse it would be without him. But I want to point out owning a pet isn't for everyone. They are a lot of responsibility, take a lot of your time, money, attention, energy, and commitment. But if you're willing to commit to that, I would recommend getting a pet to anyone dealing with anxiety or depression. If you can't do this, volunteer at an animal shelter, go to a pet store (watching fish can  also create a calming affect), or hangout with a friend who has pets. Because to me, everyone should know the love an animal can give.

Day 5- Thing I love to do.......Spend time with my dog, Tyson.


My favorite picture of Tyson & I

1 comment: