Thursday, April 4, 2013

Day 4- Support Systems

I know today is a late post, but I am just now settling in at home since leaving at 9:15am. I went to an early morning pilates class at the gym, came home to shower and eat, then immediately left for work. So.......busy, busy day. It as also a pretty good day because I was truly amazed and touched from the moment I woke up. Last night after publishing my Day 3 blog, I posted on Facebook and Instagram a few words to let people know what I was doing. The response I got was more than I thought. Not only did I get words of encouragement on those places, I received texts as well. And this leads me to the next thing I want to share that I have learned these last 20 months or so since this all began.

It is so important to a HAVE SUPPORT SYSTEM. I have been blessed with an amazing family. I come from one of those rare families nowadays, my parents are still married and will be celebrating their 35th wedding anniversary this year. I have an older brother and a younger brother which means I'm the middle child. I also have a sister-in-law who I can honestly say is my best friend, and 3 nieces who I absolutely adore. I have a great group of core friends, a few I have been friends with since elementary school. These are the people I know I can lean on and talk to no matter what happens in my life. I have also created a new support system in the last few months. I joined what is known as a Life Group through Real Life Church, and I even have a supporter in my therapist and doctors. Yesterday I mentioned I would also be joining a group of 8-10 people who are going through the same thing as me, which I'm sure will gather me even more supporters.

I even received support from somewhere I didn't expect it. A family friend that we talk to about once a month sent me a gift today. They have been friends with my parents for almost 26 years, and have a child who was born with scoliosis like me, so it created an even closer bond between our families. My mom has mentioned on and off how I have been doing, but probably hasn't mentioned it to them in a few months. Tonight when I got home, I received a package from them along with a note saying, "Been thinking about you a lot. Here is a book that we read every morning that has really helped us."  It truly is amazing to me that literally a day after I made my year project known to a bunch of people, I unexpectedly received support from them as well even though they had not learned about my project yet.

So the lesson for the day: Whether you are going through tough times or not, it is SO IMPORTANT to have a support system. I know not everyone is blessed with family and friends, or they can't afford to seek therapy or go to doctors, but help and support is always there. Just pick up your computer and go to any search engine and look up support groups. While online look up chat groups, blogs, and other social media outlets. The easiest place to start is your regular doctor or a local hospital. You can also walk into any church and most have their own support groups or know of local non-profits who offer help. You can even bring it up in conversation. It wasn't until I started talking about it I learned how many others could relate. You can even leave a comment on here.

The thing to remember is that support is necessary and easy to find.....all you have to do is ask.

Day 4: Thing I love to do.......Hug my parents.

1 comment: