Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Day 23- Happiest Moments

I was recently given a book called Attitudes of Gratitude: How to Give and Receive Joy Every Day of Your Life by M.J. Ryan. I've only read the first chapter so far, but basically the book teaches us the importance of being grateful for the things in our life and how to find joy even in the hardest times of life. In the first chapter it tells you to recall a happy moment in your life that stands out for you. It doesn't matter how recent or how long ago it was, just as long as it was truly happy and it has stayed with you.

Anyone who knows me knows I am obsessed with my dog. He is my child and I love him like one. For me, one of my happiest memories is the first time I saw him. I had to work the day we got him and I knew my mom and brother were going to pick him up that afternoon. I was so excited driving home, I couldn't drive fast enough. My brother and I had wanted a dog almost all our lives, but my parents would never allow it. After 22 years of begging, they finally caved.

I was expecting to see him as soon as I walked in the house, but it was silent when I walked in. I went to the garage to check to see if they were even home yet and they were. I called out for my mom, but didn't get a response. I went outside in the backyard to see if they were there. I decided to walk over to the side of the house where I knew we were going to have as the place the dog would be going to the restroom. I started to hear voices and as I rounded the corner I saw him. He was this fluff ball of dark brown and black fur. His butt was swaying back and forth as he walked in the grass. It was then that I smiled probably the biggest smile of my life and said, "Hi puppy."

As soon as he heard me he turned around and came running towards me. I met him half way between where I was and he was on the grass. I bent down and started petty him as soon as he got to me. A few seconds later he got so excited he peed on me. I couldn't have been happier knowing he was excited I was there.

That is one of my happiest memories. Often when I look at my now giant dog I remember that moment. That was 3 years ago, but it is still so vivid in my mind. Moments like these are what we need to remember and recall when we are having those times of sadness, hopelessness, nervousness, and despair. Recalling times when we were truly happy can help in drawing strength and inspiration. Happiness is possible, we just have to remember where we have had it and work towards it.

What is one of your happiest memories? Grasp it, hold onto it, and use it to now live it.

From the first week we had Tyson

Day 23- Thing I Love to Do........Cuddle time with Tyson

No comments:

Post a Comment