Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Day 3- What's Important to YOU?

Today was a very busy day. I actually had the day off from work, but I had a lot of stuff to do. I did have a therapy session today which went well. I actually will be starting in a few weeks something called H3- Hope, Healing and Happiness, Support for Adults. It is a group offered at Real Life Church in Santa Clarita, CA for adults dealing with depression and anxiety. It is an 8 week program with a group of 8-10 men and women. It starts in a few weeks and I'm both excited and nervous for it. Excited because it will be nice to be around others who can relate, and nervous because I've never done it before and anytime we embark on something new there are nerves involved. Obviously, I'll keep everyone informed on how it goes.

Besides therapy, I also cleaned my room, did laundry, gave the dog a bath, and took the dog for a walk. Even though a few of those activities are on my LOVE LIST (try and guess which ones) the thing I actually set out specifically to do on my list today involved my car. I completely vacuumed and washed my car inside and out. I'm sure to some people this would end up on their HATE LIST, but for me I love it. I am what some people could call "anal," "neat freak,"  or"borderline OCD" when it comes to cleaning. To me I call it "detail-oriented," orderly," and "organized." I grew up in a clean house with a mother who is the same way so maybe it was a learned behavior. I've also worked in retail for the past 8 years, including Abercrombie & Fitch and Hollister, where EVERYTHING has to be perfect and cleaned exactly right. So call it whatever you like, but it's actually something I really like about myself. I enjoy being clean and organized (and I'll admit it, a little anal). I enjoy the actual process of cleaning, but what I love is the end result. I love knowing I'm going into a clean car or going to bed that night in a clean room. It makes me feel like I accomplished something and I can actually SEE the result.

I'm sure some people might be thinking, "Really? Cleaning her car is something she loves?" Yes, yes it is. It may seem weird or something so little, but it's important to me. And that's the lesson for the day. The "Ah Ha" moment I got out of therapy today and that I want to share. It doesn't matter how little something is or how weird it might be to someone else, as long as it's important to you, then it matters. I have to do things that matter to me, we all do.

And now here is the end result........My clean car!!

Day3- Thing I love.......Clean my car.


1 comment: