Sunday, February 9, 2014

Day 314- The Night That Changed America

Right now I am watching the Grammy special on The Beatles. The CBS television network is airing a music special on The Beatles because today marks the 50th anniversary, to the day, that The Beatles performed for the first time on American Television. Now I know the "British Invasion" started and ended way before I was born, but that doesn't mean that I have no idea who they are. 

I had heard who The Beatles were from my parents when I was growing up. I know I heard their songs on commercials, television shows, and the radio as a kid, but I didn't realize it was a Beatles song. It wasn't until 2007 when I saw the movie Across The Universe that I heard the majority of their music. The movie is basically a love story set during the 1960s and uses The Beatles' songs to tell the story. I fell in love. To this day that movie is one of my favorites; not only because it is a great movie, but because shortly after that I started downloading their music. 

It is amazing to think how much they accomplished and how much influence they have had on the world. The most amazing thing, they were only a band for 10 years before breaking up. That may seem like a long time but people like Tim McGraw, Britney Spears, Eminem, and Maroon 5 have all been around for over 10 years already. It may seem like The Beatles were around for much longer, but that is because they also were so successful in solo careers as well. 

Watching this special I can't help but wonder what it is like in their heads and through their eyes. I wonder if they truly realize the impact they had and how much influence they have had? Did they ever think that they could have that much of an impact when they started? And did they ever think that 50 years later they would still be relevant? I think the answer to all of those questions is no.

We never know the impact we will have on this world. We never know what the future holds or what is in store for us. All we can do is embrace that mystery and try our best to be our best. I don't know if I may ever have an impact like The Beatles have had in our world, but I also know that I won't. That uncertainty is pretty exciting, don't you think?


Day 314- Love Notes

The Wedding
 


No comments:

Post a Comment